India Open 2021 Badminton Canceled; It was to be held in Delhi without audience

0
126
India Open 2021 Badminton Canceled

India Open 2021 Badminton Canceled; It was to be held in Delhi without an audience – The Badminton Federation of India and Badminton World Federation have decided to postpone the Yonex-Surprise India Open to be held in Delhi due to rising corona. This tournament 11 to 16 May K.D. Jadhav was to be in the indoor hall without an audience presence. 228 players from 33 countries were to participate in this competition.

Ajay Singhania, general secretary of the Badminton Federation of India, said, “Given the current challenges, the BAI has no option but to postpone the tournament. We had an entry of 228 players and about 300 people including coaches, support staff and officials were participating. Several rounds of discussions were held with the BWF as well as with the Delhi government and other stakeholders and it was decided to postpone it keeping in view the safety of the players and officials.

Lockdown till 26 April in Delhi

There will be a lockdown in Delhi from Monday night to April 26. There have been more than 23 thousand cases of corona in Delhi in the last 24 hours. On Monday, about 240 people have died in Delhi due to this virus.

The India Open Super 500 tournament was postponed due to growing cases of Covid-19 in the country. It is one of the last three qualifying tournaments for the Tokyo Olympics. The $ 400,000 India Open was to be held in Delhi from 11 to 16 May without an audience. Badminton Association of India (BAI) general secretary Ajay Singhania said, “Given the current challenges, BAI has no option but to announce the postponement of the tournament for the moment.”

He said, “After several rounds of discussion with the BWF, Delhi government and other shareholders, the BAI needed to take this decision to protect the players and officials.” 2.74 lakh new cases of corona infection were reported in the country in the last 24 hours. Huh. With the rise of Kovid-19 cases, top players such as Olympic champion Carolina Marin, former world champion Ratchanok Intanon and Anders Antonsen of Denmark and Rasmus Gameke decided to withdraw from the tournament in the Olympic rankings.

228 players were to enter the tournament

Ajay Singhania said, “We had received entries from 228 players and around 300 people including coaches, support staff and officials would gather.” And the situation is such that the 2021 stage of the Yonex-Sunrise India Open was still very risky. ”The previous phase of the India Open also had to be cancelled, which was earlier postponed from March to December. Syed Modi Super 300 tournament was also cancelled in the revised calendar, which was to be held from 17 to 22 November.

The last time Sindhu won the title in 2017

Last year too, the India Open was postponed due to Corona. In 2017, PV Sindhu became the champion for the last time in the women’s category from India. Saina Nehwal has become the champion here twice. Kidambi Srikanth and Prakash Padukone have won the titles in the men’s category.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here